Friday 17 June 2011

Bempton, Blacktoft and one in Brum

So then, shame and contrition is now over and it’s time to do a report, so of a report anyway ;-)))

For some time Jan has wanted to visit the RSPV site at Rainham Marshes in Essex and we made up our minds that we would go there on the next decent weather day.  Then clever clogs here suggested that perhaps it might be better to and see some puffins and company because Rainham could be done more or less anytime.  So that is what we did on 6 June. 
 
We set of early and on the way up we swapped over driving on the M1 and as we were east bound on the M18 we passed a fatal road crash near the A1 by Doncaster.  At least I think it was a fatal because the police had screens up around the incident.  The traffic was in chaos with the A1 being blocked solid both directions. As soon as we had passed it though the M18 was clear and we were not held up all that long at all.  Seeing it mind you made us think about just how fragile life really is for us all.




Flying 4; gannets in formation


We always start our day list as we leave home and the 6th was no exception.  By the time we had arrived at Bempton we had picked up Swift; wood pigeon; crow; blackbird; starling; magpie; rook; mute swan; swallow; dunnock; tree sparrow; jackdaw; mallard which isn’t spectacular really but we were pleased with it.  Our first sighting at Bempton was a linnet just outside the visitor centre.  I’ve said before that we both have mobility problems so we took our scoters that day.  However, I wasn’t sure they would be all that useful on the tracks and pathways around the area.  Consequently we had to walk but by taking it very easy and stopping regularly and resting we did managed to get a fair way along the coastal path to the south.  What we hadn’t anticipated though was just how hot the sun would be ... yes I know, daft as brush eh?  The result was we both burned quite badly, not enough to cause too much discomfort but enough to let us know we had done too much at one go.




A herring gull


Anyway, off we went to that coastal path.  We normally get a lot of puffins there and we were both looking forward to getting lots of photos of them.  Big disappointment there ... we saw just three and we had to work hard to get those!  In the end we still came away with a decent list from there, reed bunting; guillemot; herring gull; fulmar; puffin; razorbill; gannet; stock dove; skylark; meadow pipit; whitethroat; corn bunting in addition to the linnet I mentioned earlier. 




A gannet carrying something to the nest


It’s a good way from Dorktown to Bempton and to visit just one site makes it a bit of a wasted journey so we try to get round to Blacktoft Sands as well.  We got there about 4’o’clock that afternoon and this time we were able to use our scooters thankfully, which we did.  The sunny was still very hot though and as we rode we were in the full glare of it yet again with no way of covering up.  It’s a mistake we will not make again!  Our day list grew while were there and we added Canada goose; lapwing; coot; grey heron; little gull; marsh harrier; black headed gull; avocet; Shellduck; shoveler; sand martin; gadwall; little grebe; garganey; teal; cormorants; black tailed godwits; wren; tufted duck, but sadly no bearded tits.  Leighton Moss is where we normally get those little beauties. 




Another gannet but trying to land, I didn't see it do so either


We stopped off in a pub in Reedness I think it was and had a pint before setting off back home.  We didn’t rush home, there was no need to and so we eventually arrive back just after 9pm totally shattered by a long but enjoyable day  in spite of the sun-burn.  Oh yes, we added buzzard and moorhen on the way home.




Not the pint I had in Reedness but one in a pub in Dorktown, and really nice pint too.


A couple of days later I was watching telly and found out that there is a free photo exhibition on in Birmingham outside Snow Hill Station.  I always like something for nowt, don’t we all eh so I went off for a look.  Off I went north bound on the M6, now I don’t want to give the impression I’m not concentrating on my driving but I did get slightly distracted when a hobby flew straight across in front of me about 10 feet of the road.  AT least it gave me another year tick without really trying ;-)))
            




OUCH!!!  That must have hurt, a bird strike o the window of the car home my Mother was in before we had to move her becuase that home is closing.
The Rochdate Sage has been in touch again ...

One lazy Sunday morning the wife and I were quiet and thoughtful, sitting around the breakfast table when I said to her unexpectedly, "When I die, I want you to sell all my stuff, immediately."

"Now why would you want me to do something like that?" she asked.

"I figure a woman as fine as yourself would eventually remarry and I don't want some other arsehole using my stuff."

She looked at me intently and said: "What makes you think I'd marry another arsehole?"

No comments:

Post a Comment