Saturday 1 January 2011

Draycote, getting wet and cold ...

I was a little late in leaving to head off for Draycote this morning and when I arrived it had started to rain, a light drizzle really but enough to soak you right through.  That's three visits and three time its rained while I was there ... is it trying to tell me something do you think?  It's a five mile route all around the site but only has one hide.  Both times I've used it I have been alone there, doesn't seem to be popular really, but understandable considering there was nothing about near it today. 

Viewing was difficult becuase my specs kept on getting wet and I had to stop and dry them regularly and when I got in the hide they and my bins kept steaming up ... can't win eh ;-)))

Anyway, I was on scooter and by the time I got back to the car I was wet, cold and shivering very badly.  A nice hot cop of tea from the mobile cafe beside the visitor centre (which is closed and seems it will remain so for the foreseeable future), soon sorted me out.  However, I did get a total of 27 birds today ...

Mallard;  Barnacle goose;  Black-headed gull;  Crow;  Rook;  Goosander;  Tufted duck;  Canada Goose;
Coot;  Greater Black-backed gull;  Lesser black-backed gull; Great crested grebe;  Woodpigeon; Great tit;  Blue tit;  Teal;  Magpie;  Chaffinch;  Herring gull;  Blackbird;  Moorhen;  Shoveler;  Little grebe;  Golden eye;  Grey heron;  Pied wagtail;  Starlings;

On the 28th of last month there was supposed to be a smew and a yellow-leged gull and a Caspian gull there in the gull roost.  Hmmm ... I wonder which gull roost, I counted at least 6 of them.  Anyway, if they were there I didn't see them or at least I couldn't I D them if I did see them, and I am not going to try to claim something that I can't ID.



Anyway, 27 to start the year off enna bad really considering the conditions.  I pop down to rec tomorrow and see what's about there.


Sorry, no pics today either - I wasn't going to get my camera soaked too.

No comments:

Post a Comment