Thursday 10 March 2011

Nice day out yesterday

I managed to get out to Norfolk yesterday for the day but only managed to get 38 species for the day, pretty poor considering I went to both Cley and Titchwell.  But that's birding for you, some days the birds are there and other days they're not.  One guy I spoke to at Titchwell said that during yesterday morning there was a lot more there but at 4.30 there wasn't ... ah well.  Even so I did manage to get 11 new ones for my year list, avocet, brent geese, oystercatcher, greenshanks, marsh harrier, little egret, redshanks, knott, dunlin, wren, and surprisingly three house martins too, so I'm happy enough with that.  But at Cley there was a spoonbill, snow buntings and shore larks - s0 why aren't they also on my list?  Well, they were showing along the top path by the beach and that path being a shingle path I can't get my scooter down there and to get to the North Scrape there is too long for me to walk, especially carrying a camera and a scope on a tripod.  Later at Titchwell another guy let me have a look through his scope at what he said were common scoters.  Well, I looked, re-focused the scope and all I could see was loads of sea water.  But he did warn me that they were a long way out, "About a mile off shore," he said, whatever, I couldn't see them.  Not a large number of birds then, but it was great to be out in the fresh air and doing what I enjoy, and that surely isn't a bad thing to be doing.  Here's three shots from yesterday then ...












While I was at Titchwell I noticed something I hadn't seen before ...



This wrecked ship was showing above the low tide.  Not seen it before as I said so it was something different to record.  And then on the way back to Hunstanton for a drink and a meal in the Marine pub I saw this ...



By the time I got around the corner a few yards away the clouds had closed up and the beam had gone.  Not a great shot but I like it anyway.

The new one way system on our streets is supposed to be operational from today.  I wonder how many will get it wrong?  Soon find I suppose.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment