Monday 7 March 2011

No birding today cos ...

7-3-11
... when I got up I was pretty well run-out at bog-house ... do I need to say more?  However, when I set out to start this blog I intended it to not just about birding.  Let's face it, there's loads of other doing just that and doing a far better job of it than myself.  So now I'll move on. 

Life in Dorktown goes on as normal.  Earlier today we had a note pushed through the letter box from Warwickshire County Council.  Tomorrow they are coming to our street to clean the ‘gullies’, by which I think they mean the gutters and drains.  OK, no probs there I suppose but hang on a minute ... they have asked that all cars parked in the street be removed from between 0900hrs and 1600hrs and for them to be parked elsewhere!  But where for pete’s sake?  There’s something like 200 houses in our street and to give you a snap shot of the area, we have two cars, next door has two cars, next door t’ther way has one, family across the road has two and within six or seven houses there’s a family with four cars!  So where the heck are we supposed to park them all?

Here’s some more birdy pics ... 



I got this Bewick swan in May/June at Hornsea Mere a few years ago.  A local guy said it had been injured about Christmas the year before and had been hanging about ever since.  Whatever, it was a nice spot for us.  


Another one from a few years back.  My all time favourite bird is the coot.  I just think they look so smart in their black and white rig ... mind you, the chicks look pretty ugly don't they ;-)))



I found this grey heron (and many others too), in Regents Park, London last October time.  They were all so very close.



My one and lony kingfisher shot.  Now for something different. 
This amazing peice can be found in Antrim in Ulster.  I rather liked it.
And this one was over the porch of a pub in Carraick-a-need in Ulster.
I did tink twice about posting this one ... its of the town hussey, or George Eliot to give her her professional name.  Have you tried reading Mill on the Floss?  No, well don't bother, I've tried it three times and fell asleep before getting to the bottom of the first page!





This gunner is in Whitehaven in Cumbria.  I got this last summer while I was up that way. 




 




2 comments:

  1. Hi Ron,

    Just found your blog and had a scroll through, looking pretty good! Just a comment about your Bewick's swan you photographed at Hornsea Mere a few years ago, I'm afraid to say that it is a Whooper swan or may be it's a mis-type from yourself? Whoopers have a large amount of yellow on the bill which is what this individual has, whereas the Bewick's have a much smaller amount of yellow. Great shot though! Kind Regards Chris Bridge. http://traineebirdringing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chris, thanks for the comments, much appriecated. You're right, it is a Whooper not a bewick but it's not a typo but me being a lazy sod and checking the info I was given. I've just done so and feel that's yet another senior moment ;-)))

    Ron

    ReplyDelete