Tuesday 5 April 2011

Today's xecond helping ...

Well, I sat and watched Lewis and wrapped myself around a really nice bottle of red wine, and enjoyed them both.  It’s only just lately that we have had the ‘pause’ and ‘catch-up’ buttons and I have to say that I am sorry that it took me so long to get the  box that allows it, it’s really great.  After Lewis I watched the Sunday evening show, Louis Theroux: America’s Most Hated Family in Crisis. I’m not really surprised by it seeing as it was in the USA and Americans always seem to be over the top with everything they do anyway.  But what worries me is that the church concerned was a Baptist church.  “Why?” you might ask.  Well, I was a member of Manor Court Baptist Church Nuneaton for quite some time and I wrote a history of the church for its 150 year anniversary (I gave it the title of Hats and Coats) if you wish to look it up.  During my time in membership I also took and passed the Baptist Union diploma in Theology and another such diploma presented by the London Bible College.  So the top and bottom of it is that I’m no dummy when it comes to the Bible.

However I have to say that what I saw on TV this evening is more than a little disturbing and not only because of name of the church involved.  By their reckoning I am headed for hell, why, because although I don’t agree with the gay lifestyle I am willing to allow them to live that life if that’s what they want; if a couple wants to have sex before marriage then so what?  All through the program they kept quoting the Bible as their reference but there was one scripture that was plainly and obviously absent ... “Judge not lest you be judged!” (in the king Jimmy, or King James Version ... have you ever noticed how many of these far out groups use the King Jimmy and not the more modern versions?). 
It seems to me I, with the quote above in mind, that these people are way out of line and they certainly seem to be the sort that turn of so many people away from the Church – not the capital C, not lower case.  They seem to have a twisted outlook on the Christian faith and my hope is that the folks of the UK don’t think that the whole Church is like that.

But what of Louis Theroux himself and his motives?  Was he trying to bring information to the people of the UK or was he just trying to make the group look as bad as possible?  He openly admitted that he was not a believer so I have to wonder just why he went back for another go at the group.  Confession time folks!!! I don’t like, indeed I hate football.  So what?  If invited I wouldn’t go out and make an anti-football film.  So why would anyone want to go and make a film that is about a subject that don’t have any belief in?  

What ever, I’m off to be bed ... the wine is making its presence felt.            

No comments:

Post a Comment