Sunday 15 May 2011

Sunday morning and I'm cold and tired

I had hoped to get to Brandon Marsh today to get some birding done and maybe try some digi-scoping.  I was so cold when I got up though and I've got even colder as the morning has gone on that I've stayed put in home.  Yes, I know, I'll never get anything done if I keep doing that but my health just won't allow me to do otherwise I'm afraid.

According to the Sunday Express (the only Sunday paper I have because of Stuart Winter's Birdman column), there are two stories about how daft things have got in this country when it comes to helth and safety.  The first is a station master who removed a shopping trolly from the lines so that the next train due in 30 minutes later would be able to continue without delay.  Good thinking you may have thought but no, he's been sacked for it after 20+ years of good service and awards for his efforts.  The second case is of a couple who bought a house with a large area of land that they leveled and seeded and turned into an area where the lcoals could ahve a kick alround and paly.  His insurance company wanted him to level off an area where it was a little bumpy.  He started to do so and then was stopped becuase the local council said he didn't have planning permision to do so.  I'm not sure who is the daftest here.  The instance company for refusing the cover until the work is done after years of not questioning it, or the council for beging so obstructive.

But here's a thing about health and safety then ... you have to wear goggles to play conquers now, but where were they when Rooney broke his foot or others have broken their legs and had to be carried off the field?  Where are they when rugby players are have punch up over the ball.  And what that sillyness when one man throws a ball at another man so that he can try to hit it with a bit of wood?  How many horses and riders have been killed or injured in horse races?  Nowt siad there is there?  And what about the old pub favourite of darts, especially when the players have had a few pints?  And don't forget the possiblity of RSI for crib and domino players.  Libray books can be very heavy so why aren't they banned?  And of course a car is an unlicensed leathal weapon but they aren't banned are they?  Of course not. 

Does it not strike you that there's more than a lsight wiff of hypocrasy in the H&S lot?  They have a go at the reired man providing a facilty for free for the local community but won't take action of the bigger issues when they are regularly putting lives at risk.

OK, enough of that.  Have you heard about the nurse who wants to kill off all ginger haired people and old folks who can't cut their toe nails?  Why she is still a nurse I don't know!

On a lighter not to end, The Rochdale Sage has been in touch again
A man doing market research knocked on a door and was
greeted by a young woman with three small children running
around at her feet.

He says, 'I'm doing some research for Vaseline.

Have you ever used the product?'

She says, 'Yes. My husband and I use it all the time.'

And if you don't mind me asking, what do you use it for?'

We use it for sex.'

The researcher was a little taken back.

'Usually people lie to me and say that they use it on a child's bicycle chain

or to help with a gate hinge.

But, in fact, I know that most people do use it for sex.

I admire you for your honesty. Since you've been frank so far, can you
tell me exactly how you use it for sex?'

The woman says, 'I don't mind telling you at all...

My husband and I put it on the door knob and it keeps the kids out.'

And you thought it was gonna be a dirty joke...!

Shame on you

No comments:

Post a Comment