Thursday 12 May 2011

Time to update

Birding is very slow these days.  We were hoping to get down to Rainham Marsh a few days ago but as with oh so many folks, lack of dosh and larger bills put paid to that!  Anyway, we are rather pleased with the number of house sparrows we have around here.  We live in a three bedroomed terreached house and there's laods of trees and stuff in the gardens around us so there's plenty of birds.  My brother had the back garden slabbed some time ago and we can't afford to have them lifted so we can do some planting to attrack more birds.  We do however put out lots of food and fresh water for them.  I say 'we' but that's all down to my doemstic supervisor rather than little ol' me.  I still haven't managed to get off around the canal towpath after my reccie the other week.  I'll do it one, honest I will ;-)))

So then, I reaad that a place here in Dorktown holds an auction on Wednesday evening so Jan and I went to have look.  Just our luck, there was no auction last night so we went around the corner to the Royal Oak on Arbury Road and had a pint in there, a pint of Tunnel Bewery OTT, not bad but I've had better.  After that we went off to Whitestone (which reminds me, I must go take a photo of where the name comes from, you'll undersatnd why when I post it on here ;-))) ), to a pub called the Chetwyn Arms. Now, they've got Marstons' Pedigree on in there and that was vary nice.  But there is also a Chinnies (speeling?) restaurant within the pub so I being a lover of Chinky nosh and not having tried it there before I decided to have a go.  However, I made a mistake with my order and I ended up with special chow mein instead of the fried rice ... ah well.  But what really pissed me off was being charged an extra £1 to eat it in the pub.  In fact she was trying to charge me £2 becusae Jan was there too.  It's a 'cover charge' appartantly but I've never heard of it being charged elsewhere and I did object to doing so last night.  Whatever ... they can charge what they like I suppose but they have lost a customer becuase of it, and yes, I did tell them that too!

Something I found out aboutthis week ... my VW Golf is a Motability lease hire car and as part of the agreement I get a magazine come through every so often.  In the last one there was a peice about driving licenses.  I was surprised that if you have a photo license you have to renew it every 10 years ... and get charged £20 to do so.  They don't miss a chance of making a bob or two do they! 

The Rochdate Sage has been in touch again ... have a look at this one ...

A little girl asks her mum, 'Mum, can I take the dog for a walk around the block?' 

Her mum replies 'No, because she is on heat.'
'What does that mean?' asked the child.


'Go and ask your father. I think he's in the garage.' 


The little girl goes out to the garage and says, 'Dad, can I take Lulu for a walk around the block? I asked Mum, but she said the dog was on the heat, and to come ask you.' 


He took a rag, soaked it in petrol, and scrubbed the dog's backside with it to disguise the scent, and said 'Ok, you can go now, but keep Lulu on the leash and only go one time around the block.' 


The little girl left and returned a few minutes later with no dog on the leash.. 


Surprised, Dad asked, 'Where's Lulu?'
(You'll love this!!!!!!!!!)................

The little girl said, 'She ran out of petrol about halfway round the block, so another dog is pushing her home.'





   

No comments:

Post a Comment