Thursday 3 February 2011

Nice day ... but still no birds ...

... becuase I wasn't feeling very good at all.  This happens quite a few times and it does at times knock quite a few plans for six.  Never mind, onwards and upwards as they say ... ... ... ...




The other day I reported on the one-way system that is being put in place on the three roads of Norman Avenue, Bracebridge Street and Marlbough Road.  They all run off Queens road and cross Prince's Avenue before continuing on for short distance over Princes's Avenue.  Well, we've had a fuller description of what is being done.  Barcebridge street as I reported is to become one-way off Queens Road with No Entry signs at the Prince's Avenue end;  the other two will be No Entry at the Queens Road end and one way from the Princes Avenue end;  there will be a 20 mph speed limit imposed on there and on Edward Street too I assume; a 'plate' will be built on the Edward Road/High Street/Queens Road Juction.  The work is due to start on 14 Febuary.  We now await the ensueing choas with dread!

On the same junction there used to be a grand old Art Deco building ...






Here it be ... That has now gone and a Lidle is in its place, vandelism in my opinion!  Most places seem to treasure their achitecture but Dorktown and Nonetown Bouorgh Council don't.  So amny places are saving all their old red brick mills, Dorktown allowed their one and only mill to be demolished!  And have you ever heard of a 'ring road' that goes through the middle of the twon ... well Dorktown has one!

One of my other passion is photography.  I'm not a brilliant snapper but I do enjoy it.  If it stands still I snap it; if it moves I try to snap it.  Buildings, trees, water in various places and states.  But I do keep an eye out for pubs that still stand but are no longer used as pubs, like this one ...




This is now Burtons as you can see but it used to be Peacock.  I used to pull pints in there for some time and it was a great pub to be in both as a barman and a customer.  Here's another one ...

As you can the Black Swan is now a Holland and Barrett ... not much change of use there then ;-)))

Birmingham has undergone a lot of changes over the last few years and the new Selfridges is a cracker of building and has been photographed probaly milions of times since it was opened.  I've been trying to do so but witha different slant on it.  I do have a couple of different shots but can't find them for now so you'll have to amke do with a boring one ... 
 
As I said before I like water shots so how about this one then ...

... the Humber Bridge taken from the Barton-on-Humber side so I get a building and some water together, a 'bogoff' if you like ;-)))  And how about another favourite subject, churches ...



... top one is a convential shot of the bronze by the steps on entrace on Priory Street but the other is down the side street, Baley Lane.  Zoos are good too ...

European Bison at Highland Wildlife park just off the A9 between Kingussie and Avimore, and ...

... this chap who I can't remember what he is or where I 'shot' him.

Oh yes, and don't forget transport as a photo subect ...

This one I got while Jan was driving, it was just at the start of the A14 by the M6 junction and had just started to rain too ... opps ...

A sausage-meat-on-the-hoof-haulier ...
Do you remember the old Moggy 100 ... well if you do you're showing your age, just like me ;-))) but I didn't know that Austin also made a version of it.  I got this shot at a millitary vehicle show in 2009.


Well enough of me photos for today, maybe some more tomorrow.  And remember ...
with the price of spuds going up as they are, we'll soon be eating chips!














 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment