Saturday 19 February 2011

Weather forecasting ... a new crystal needed?

We were hoping to go to Slimbridge today for more birding but today's weather just wasn't suitable.  It was actually just as they predicted earlier this week but last night the BEEB was saying it would be dry today opps, got it wrong yet again.  The result is that I have no birding news to relate to anyone.  Instead of watching birds we ended up visiting Focus Optics in Chorley so that Jan could buy more bird seed for the feeders out back and I could ‘drop’ off my scope for repair after having ‘dropped’ it some time ago when out birding once.  The focus knob rod needs replacing; just hoping it won’t cost the earth to do.  Likewise my Nikon Coolpix 5100 camera which has decided it no longer wants to play.  It was working fine then I turned it off and then it just seized up half way through its close down procedure.  Ah well, look at that later.

After Focus Optics (which by the way is a great place to visit if you are looking for some decent optics or for birdseed and outdoor clothing and so on), we went off to Go Outdoors to look at camping tables, they had five to look at and none of them were what we needed one for.  But the thing is, they’ve changed it all around again.  Now it’s mainly all clothing and footwear and very little of anything else.  We tend to go over there 3 or 4 times a year and each time it’s been changed around.  If I didn’t know better I’d have thought they had been taken over by Woolies ... another store that couldn’t decide how to lay its goods out.  They changed that around every couple of weeks.  From there we went to the Burnt Post, a pub on the A45 in Coventry.  Not been in there before and we were both impressed with it.  I had a pint of The Reverend James, one of the very best real ales I’ve had in a long time, and believe me, it did taste as good as it looks here ...

Some more photos then ...




And talking of beer Hobgoblin is another very fine ale.  I saw this poster in a pub in Oxford and thought it worth a shot.  It asks a very relevant question to my mind.



Very red berries at Brandon a few years ago.


Another of my favourtie images also taken on my Minolta 404si but on slide film this time and then scanned into the 'puter.


Popular trees at Brandon again, they've changed a lot now.


Mr Bierce says of the telephone, “An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance.”  I wonder what he would have thought of mobiles then ;-)))

No comments:

Post a Comment