Wednesday 16 February 2011

No birds but is the Pope ill?

No birds again today simply cos I didn’t go out the house at all.  Sadly I can’t go out birding every day; Jan would soon have something to say about if I did.  However, I am hoping to get out somewhere on Sunday, depending on the weather of course.  

Not a bad day even without the lack of birding anyway so that’s good.  I sat there again watching the BBC News and yet again the British courts are over reacting to something from court of human rights or whatever it’s called.  Now they want to interfere with the way that we deal with sexual perverts and rapists and say that these monsters shouldn’t be kept on the Sex Offenders Register for life ... but is that what they are really saying?  Towards the end of the report there a comment from the Labour Party that quoted another section of the ruling that said that the government wasn’t actually required to do anything about it.  So both parties are trying to score some sorts of points on the issue.  Thing is, there was a report in the local paper yesterday that a pervert raped an 11 year old boy at least 3 times and had been told by the judge hearing the case that he could expect a lengthy jail term – I hope he does!  But maybe TPTB (the powers that be), should go and ask that lad’s Mum and Dad with they agree not only to allow the rapist to be removed from the register or if they are happy about the political parties trying to score points off each other because it.  I somehow don’t think they will. 
       
Now then, on a lighter note ...
On my travels I also keep and eye out for odd or perhaps funny signs.  This one amused me when I saw while driving south on the A6 not far from Preston.  The thought of crooks selling any sort of vehicles struck me as very funny.
This one is a street in Brum up by the cathedral.  Again it amused me.
A lot of villages are now going in for a more garphic type of village sign.  This one as you see is for Waterbeach which is just off the A10 a few miles north of Cambridge.  I spent to very good years there while I was in the army.  My local was called the Star but although the building is still there it's now a private house, sadly.  It was much better as a pub!
Our tent in which we spent two very happy weeks in holiday in Antrim last summer.  The tent was in a really nice bag that look like one of those larg 'hold-all' type bags.  Getting out of the bag was easy ... getting it beg in is in my opinion impossible!  Being a plastice or pvc material once you drop it down and start to roll it up the air can't be got out if it.  However, it's a nice big tent, veery easy to errect and we were very happy with it.
Last one for today then ... this si wind farm off the coast at Skeggy.  I used a 500mm mirror lens to take this.  It's not quite sharp enough and that is becuase the lens is manual focus and with my eyes not being as good as they should be I didn't quite it it right.  Overall though I like this shot.

Now then ...

Are you like me in that you dislike it when you are about say something and someone jumps in and stops you?  Well, according to Ambrose Bierce in his The Devil’s Dictionary that person suffers from Loquacity which he defines as being ... “A disorder which renders the sufferer unable to curb his tongue when you wish to talk.” 

From the Rochdale Sage ...

 A drunk man, who smelled of liquor, sat down on a subway next to a priest.  The man's tie was stained, his face was plastered with red lipstick, and a half-empty bottle of gin was sticking out of his coat pocket. He opened his newspaper and began reading.  After a few minutes the man turned to the priest and asked, 'Say Father, do you know what causes arthritis?'

The priest replies, 'My Son, it's caused by loose living, being with cheap wicked women, too
much alcohol, contempt for your fellow man, sleeping around with prostitutes and lack of a bath.'

 The drunk muttered in response, 'Well, I'll be damned.' Then he returned to his paper.

 The priest, thinking about what he had said, nudged the man and apologized.  'I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to come on so strong. How long have you had arthritis?'

 The drunk answered, 'I don't have it, Father. I was just reading here that the Pope does.'

No comments:

Post a Comment